Sunday, November 30, 2008

Is it really Christmas time??

Ok, so I know right now the rest of the world, well not maybe the world, but... everyone is feeling this thing called the holidays, or the Christmas season, or whatever else you want to call it. But for me I think time has stopped. Well actually I think it stopped back in march when I moved out east. I really don't feel as though this year has gone by. I mean I know I felt the heat in the summer months and I know when I walk outside I have to put a coat on and most likely take my umbrella with me because it must be winter. But I don't know what it is but not being at home in Arizona has made me feel as though time has stopped and it only continues when I go back. Now this may just be because I am getting home sick, actually I pretty much know it's cause I'm home sick. I miss my sweet mom and dad. I miss my little nephews voice. I keep rolling with the "seasons" and doing what is normal for others but it just seems so un-natural to me. I mean I had the turkey and yams and I am going to try to make my mom's famous sugar cookies but it just doesn't feel right unless it's done in the very place that makes me feel so right. I want to go home for the holidays. Now mom this doesn't mean buy me a ticket, if that is what you were thinking. I need and really want to be with Corey on Christmas I'm just sad that I can't have it all. Corey told me the other day that he would be just as junior in Phoenix as he is here. Let me tell you I was so tempted to pack it all up and go home!! But we'll stick it out. I'm not unhappy here I just look forward to when I will start to let time continue and enjoy the holidays.

8 comments:

Jennie said...

Sorry you're homesick Kari! I used to feel that way when my Lash family stopped having Christmases with my Gma Dorothy because we moved away. It just didn't seem right not being there. It almost felt like it was going through the holidays kinda numb like. But it's been quite a few years since we stopped that tradition (about 10 years). And this is the first year since I've lived in AZ that actually finally feels REALLY like Christmas because I'm used to snow and cold at this time of year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it gets better. The first couple of times are hard. But it gets easier. But no one can take away those sweet memories of yours. That's yours to keep whether far or near. And it's your gift to create ones with your sons.

Jen said...

Here's what i would do- decorate like crazy- it doesn't need to be expensive. Then make memories of your own that you will remember for the rest of your life. Just think of it like "i can't believe i will only be here a short little while longer and i need to make as many memories here as I can".
I know it's easier said than done. Good Luck!

mom of fab five said...

You just need to remember that these are moments of growth. You are making memories that you never could have had if you hadn't stepped out of that comfortable box and experienced something new.When you do come back you will have a greater appreciation for family and a greater concern for those that are away from their families--and be more willing to reach out to others and their needs. We miss you but i am so glad you are having this chance to experience something other than our same old similiar AZ weather--i miss fall back east--jump in the leaves for me a few times and make sure to take lots of pictures--cuz your kids won't remember otherwise.
LOve ya

Leigh ANN

Sarah said...

I decorate like crazy too! Honestl, it helps with the season... It is hard being away from home... We have been for 4 years already... You go back and people have grown like 2 feet, they go on missions, they move... It is crazy... I feel the same! I miss AZ!!!

It will get better... You will make more friends and create a family away from home and it won't be as bad!

Anonymous said...

Just think of the awesome birthday party we are going to have for the boys when you come in January! Listen to all this good advice your friends are giving you. I know you will be alright. I'm so glad that you love your husband so much and want to spend the holidays with him. Make the best of it and enjoy a beautiful Christmas together. Love you!

Dmcguire25 said...

Oh honey I am so sorry that you are feeling homesick and miss the Holidays here with your family. I know how you feel, I wish I could have my mom and see her, wait no I dont at this moment, but mostly I do! You know home is in the heart not where the heart is! So make your mom part of your like there, make her cookies and do the holidays all out and it will start to feel like home. Do some awesome traditions with the boys and make home that way. I totally know how you feel and it is not easy!
I think that way I deal with it is putting my sadness into making the holidays wonderful and magical for the girls and in a way I took over for my mom and I am making memories for the girls that someday they will feel the way I am if they are with their new families and have kids! Your mom is a lucky lady to have such a sweet and wonderful daughter!

Cody, Marianne, and Preston :o) said...

I totally understand that feeling Kari... I've been in Flagstaff- only 2 hours away from "home"- for over 5 years now and I still get that feeling often. But I think I can say that I'm finally getting to the point where "home" doesn't feel as much like "home" anymore either. "Home" is finally becoming the place where my own little family creates memories and traditions and less "the home grew up in". I think it gradually transitions its way out, but isn't it so nice that our parents made home a place that we long for even after we are moms ourselves. I think of that often and it makes me realize that is what I want home to be for my kids too so I better get to working at it!:)

Carolyn said...

So, here's a little idea that Sunny had to get into the Spirit of Christmas--she made a bunch of paper chains to count down the days, and on each one we all wrote different things to do to get into the season. Simple things that don't cost any money and that can be done around the house. (a secret service, sing songs, tell a story, give hugs, clean under the couches--WHATEVER!) I like it because it has helped to remind us that Christmas is about LOVE and SERVICE and CHRIST. It also is a fun and simple count down. With that said, we miss you too and can't wait to see ya!