Friday, November 7, 2008

Just a little Vacation...

So Corey asked me the other day what I wanted for my birthday...
I told him I wanted to go hiking. His response... Ok let's go to Puerto Rico and hike. I thought ok that will be awesome. Well for the most part it was a terrific trip, even if we never got to the hiking part. It all started pretty bad... We got to the airport remembered we forgot our birth certificates, AGAIN. Well I guess you don't really need them for Puerto Rico so we were all good. We got there and waited about 2 and a half hours to get are stink'n rental car. Then Corey remembered that it was election day there also so it was gonna be crazy. And man I tell you, it was in deed.
There was traffic back to back bumpers. And people in Puerto Rico are CRAZY drivers, Driving on the side walk the side of the road, cutting you off without looking and they all drive SO fast. To add to that horrible madness, people were sitting on top of cars hanging out windows holding on to the sides of cars everyone was doing this, even little children were on top of cars. I was so scared!! Then the traffic made us go to the capital of Puerto Rico where the election was nuts!!!
People were standing on the side wall next to the freeway, and they were drinking. I couldn't believe this and the cops, oh the cops didn't even care they would drive by and honk their horn and join in. Every one laid on the horn all day.
This guy was actually driving his car hanging out the door.
Then as soon as we got away from that I took a peaceful picture of the beach from the car window. But the madness didn't end there. What should have taken us 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours to get across the island to where we were staying took us about 5 hours of crazy kids screaming, Dallin throwing up twice, and traffic and loud cars all night. It was crazy and I almost lost it. Well I think I kinda did lose it, I hate it when I do that, I feel like such a terrible mom and wife. Anyways, I asked Corey why we were doing this is was nuts and we should just go back to the airport and go home. I put my head in the seat of the car and repeated many times, I'm losing it, I'm losing it!!
But we did eventually find our way to the Peillciers (I might have spelt this wrong) home and it was wonderful. They are the most amazing family and they loved the boys.
And the boys loved them!!

Then the next morning we got up, we were going to leave that night so we wanted to do as much as possible in one day. We got up, visited with the family, ate some tropical fruits out back.


Just relaxed a little in the grass...
Then we went to the beach. When we got there there was no one but us there. It was like our own private beach. So beautiful. We ended up playing at the beach instead of hiking. The water was so clear and nice. The boys loved it!!

Family Photo
I tried to get our feet in the sand but it was too hard, it was perfect sand castle building sand but the boys kept destroying my sand castle, bummer!!
Then we went back to the Peillciers home and the boys played in the water in this really cool old washing basin. It was so fun to watch them play they had a blast and I sure wish I could have taken off my clothes and got in too, the humidity was crazy!!


It's ok to let them be free just a little...
Then Dallin was playing chase with Corey and tried to go through the front gate, it was pretty funny.
He finally made it though.
Well Corey decided that one day was not enough. So despite the fact that we had no more clean clothes and we might run out of formula for Bryant we ended up staying one more day. I felt it was very important to Corey to get to visit some more people. We did have a nice time visiting a couple more families, even though I didn't understand anything they were saying, since they all speak spanish. I just sat there and smiled while I had sweat dripping down my face. Corey was so happy and I loved that the boys were able to spend time where Corey served his mission and for the people he served to see his beautiful kids. It was so wonderful!!
This is what we do on plane rides to make the time go by faster. We build forts!!



Well we were finally getting on the plane to go home and Corey leans over to me and says, oh did you remember to get my GPS out of the car. I felt so sick because I didn't grab it. I got everything else but it was in the center console of the car and I didn't look there. we called the rental place and they said they had already rented the car out and they didn't find it when they cleaned the car. So pretty much they stole it. I am so sad that we forgot it and that people have no integrity and can't be honest. I started crying because we sure loved having that GPS and he hasn't even had it a year. I got it for him for Christmas last year with the help on my parents to replace the one he left on a plane the year before that. Maybe he just isn't meant to have a GPS. It's a sign he needs to stay home more. Ahh, no we love traveling. Anyways it was a great trip in between the horrible beginning and end.

6 comments:

Jen said...

What a fun vacation! It's gotta be so nice to be able to travel so much for practically free.
So sorry you got your GPS stolen- stupid people.
Miss ya!

Dmcguire25 said...

You know it is vacations like that which gives us the most wonderful memories! I am sorry for the horrible start and end! You poor thing. You are so blessed to be able to fly around the world and share the world with those wonderful boys. They are going to be so knowledgable about the world and have such wonderful memories because of your ability to travel! Hope you had a great birthday wish even though there were some bumps in the road!

Jennie said...

Sheesh! What a stressful first day! I'm so glad that you were able to relax and enjoy the beach. It looks so beautiful and reminds me so much of Hawaii.

Shaun Nansel Whipple said...

That looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

You sound like you had a good time despite all the trouble. Just think you can say you were in Puerto Rico when Pres. Obama was elected. The boys look so cute on the beach. I would love to get some of those pics to put in a frame. Sorry about the GPS! I guess we know what Corey needs for Christmas. Give the boys a hug for me! Love you!

Carolyn said...

"Just let them be free sometimes"...You crack me up!!! Those pictures of the boys looking at the water SHOULD be in frames, like your mom said. Crazy trip--but neat to go back to the mish.