Saturday, December 10, 2011

Charlie

Charles Lamont Whiting
aka
Charlie
8lbs1oz 20.5 inches
Mommy and her new baby boy!

Bryant holding Charlie
Mommy and all her boys, oh how exciting, I am gonna have my hands FULL!!
Grammy and Aunt Jayme were the first ones to rush down to the hospital after Little Charlie was born.
On Friday my parents brought the boys down to meet their new brother. They were all so excited and loved holding and looking at him.
Dallin had to hold him all by himself!!
Papa and Charlie
My brothers and their wives came down Thursday night also to meet the little guy. It was nice to have them visit.
The Birth Story:
(For those who care)
Wed. 12/7 was the day Corey and I had decided I was going to have the baby. Since it didn't look promising when I woke up I went about my day. I went with my sister that after noon and had my back adjusted at the chiropractor, since I had a free adjustment certificate. Then I headed over to my moms and had her friend that does work on peoples feet massaging them and stuff. She worked on my feet for a while and showed me a couple spots that are good to massage. Later that evening I didn't feel very good so I decided instead of eating dinner I would take a bath and then I had Corey massage my feet some more. We went to bed later and about 2:30am I felt a pop, like a balloon had just popped and then I felt the water. I jumped out of bed and stood there for a second then ran to the bathroom, calling Corey's name all the way. It was a weird feeling but pretty exciting, since this had never happened to me before. I called the Dr. told him my water broke and he told me to head to the hospital. I told him that I would like to wait until the contractions started and were regular and he gave me the ok. I laid down for about an hour and timed the contractions which were about 2-3 mintues apart. So I called my mom told her to head over and called the Dr. back and said that they were pretty close and that I was gonna head in. Corey and I got to the hospital a little after 4:00am. They got me checked in and in a room and check me and said I was 5cm. I was super excited and thought wow this is gonna be quick. I was still having contractions at that point and I was ready to tackle this labor thing!! I had planned on doing it all natural and I had done tons of research on hypnobirthing and was completely prepared to stay relaxed the whole time. Well I think my relaxing skills were just too awesome because my contractions started to go away. I got in the shower and tried my hardest to stay focused and have the contractions come on stronger and faster but they just seemed to be disappearing. I was pretty bummed when I was only having them once every 8-10 minutes. They were getting stronger but fewer. I did everything I could but my body just stopped progressing. I was checked 3 other times throughout the day and I was still at a 5 every time. Very disappointing. So I decided that it was time to make things happen using the help of good ol' pitocin. Not a woman in labors best friend!!! After they started that I started to have contractions but only if I was walking around the room. If I sat down they would start to go away. Not a good way to stay relaxed. So I had to keep walking in circles to keep them coming and try to relax while doing that. I got in the shower again and tried hard to consintrate on keeping the contractions coming. They were getting pretty intense and pretty strong and I kept feeling the need to push during a contraction but after the contraction the feeling would go away. So I had them check me again, I was only at a 7 maybe an 8, the nurse said. Disappointing again. So I got on all 4's leaning over a birthing ball and just waited for things to get incredibly intene and they did. And it was pretty fast. I was losing my focus and I had a hard time staying relaxed and calm. Corey was amazing and kept rubbing my back and reminding me to relax and telling me how to do that. I had a hard time listening to him but I was trying. My nurse told me that if I wanted I could deliver in the bath, but I told her that I would prefer to be in the bed cause I wanted the baby placed on me after birth. Then she asked if I wanted to go to the bed and I decided it would be a good time to go to the bed. I stood up to get out of the bath and fell right back down and said, "Um nope I'm pushing and I'm not going anywhere." They tried to get me to go to the bed and asked a few time but I insisted that I wasn't and couldn't go anywhere and that I was indeed going to push. Although I think I might not have been so nice when saying these things. They called the Dr. in and he asked if they could get me to the bed, the nurse said nope she's crowning and having the baby right now. So he put his gloves on and told me that I needed to push with all my might. That is not a very easy thing to do in a tiny bath. I had a nurse holding one leg Corey trying to reach over and across the bath trying to hold the other leg and then the Dr. said ok you really need to lift your bottom up and push with everything you got to get his shoulders out. I thought that I was going to die but I did what I was told and pushed. He finally came out and they just let him flop in the tub for a while then they put him on me and it was wonderful! Not at all how I had imagined it but it got done and I was able to do it unmedicated, with the exception on pitocin, which was necessary but not wanted.
SO that is how it went and I feel wonderful now and I am SO SO SO glad it is over!!!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm so proud of you Kari! It sounds like you did a great job during labor even though it may not have gone the way that you might have wanted it to. Birthing in that little tub sounds like it must have been awkward trying to get into the right position to push. Poor thing! Congrats on another beautiful boy! I just wish I could've rushed over to see him in the hospital too. That's what stinks about living so far away. I miss the babies!

Carolyn said...

You did amazing and now you can tell little Charlie all about it some day. "You flopped around in the tub like my little fish baby!" I bet he will be a great swimmer...

Jen said...

oh getting teary eyed!

1st of all you look amazing in the pic with all the boys! seriously!!!!

And wow, I can;t believe your birthy story- wow! Good job Kari!!!
Love you!!!

And he is going to have some much fun in his new family :)

Leticia said...

Yay! I can't wait to meet him in person! What a wonderful birth story. It makes me cry for happiness! Hooray for babies!