Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Poor Baby Boy

He's got a case of Thrush... and so do I. Bummer!!!

We figured it out yesterday. I have been having a hard time nursing him the last couple days because every time he would eat he was getting really upset and fussy. I thought that maybe he was having a hard time with the dairy I was eating, since that was the problem with my last nursing child. So I started giving him Mylicon. But he continued to have a hard time and the nights were starting to get harder cause he was fussy. Corey and I were taking turns holding him at night. Then I noticed a thick coating of white stuff on his tongue and told Corey I think he might have thrush, but he told me that all our boys had white tongues and that it was probably nothing. I was also having some pain when I nursed but I thought that pretty routine with nursing. But then the pain was lasting longer than just when nursing, I thought that a bit weird. I was at my mom's last night and told her the way my "chest" was feeling and while she was holding him she saw his mouth and said, "I think he has thrush!". I believed her cause that is what I had thought and her being a mom and having had a child who had thrush a lot, aka me, I was pretty sure she knew what it looked like. I looked it up online and it looked like he had the beginning stages of thrush and so many things started making since. I tried feeding him again at his meal time and all he did was scream so I decided that I was gonna take him into Urgent Care. I know that might be silly but it was late Friday night and I didn't want to have to wait in pain, the both of us, until Monday. So I went in and sure enough they said he had thrush and gave us a prescription for it. I got home around 10pm. I was so tired and he was so grumpy. I tried feeding him twice, once at the doctors and another time while waiting for the prescription at walgreens, who knew so many people would be picking up their orders late on a Friday night??? Yeah not my favorite places to nurse but he was hungry and I was trying. All he did though, was scream. When I got home I tried to nurse again and then I gave him the medicine. Last night was much better then the last few nights and today has been better also. I am feeling much better and I can already tell a difference in Asher. I'm so glad we got that figured out.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Augh! That's awful! Sorry you had such a difficult time, but I'm glad that you were able to get it figured out. Wishing you both a quick recovery!!

Jen said...

I'm so sorry:(
Katelyn had thrush, but it was when she was 1 yr old.
The bad part was that we were out of town. Luckily Scott's cousin was w/ us, (she is an ER nurse) and told us what it was. So I called my Dr. and they were nice enough to send a RX to us in California.

Hope it clears up real soon.

Chris and Brindy said...

I am sorry you had to experience that! It really is NOT fun! Lydia and I both had thrush also. They gave us prescription but also this purple stuff we had to paint on.... It was the worst. Stained everything. Lia's mouth was dark purple for a week. ugh.