I need a minute to vent my craziness so if you don't want to hear about how crazy I think I am please just skip this post!!!
I love to do service. It is something that I rarely turn down and enjoy looking for. I don't mean to complain about the service that I do and I definitely don't want to stop doing service but I think I might be neglecting a few things in my life that I also find to be very important because I have an obsession with helping others.
Like for instance the cleanliness of my house. Holy cow, it has gone to pot!! I hate looking around and thinking how I need to catch up on the mounds and mounds of laundry or how I haven't mopped my floors in who knows how long and don't even get me started on the bathrooms and kitchen...
So today I decided that before I get to go help my grandma clean her house I was going to get back into the Saturday chore chart routine. HAHA, big fat joke!! Corey had to go to work this morning, which made it so that I couldn't go help my Grandma this morning, which in turn allowed me my Saturday morning chore chart routine to be put in place before I go help Grandma this afternoon, but not before I finish the wood letters I promised to have cut out by this afternoon for another lady. Anyways, it also meant that I was alone to do my Sat. Chore Chart with three needy, energetic boys.
I like to start outside the house, so we went outside to pick up outside toys together before mom mowed the lawn. I think I picked up 95% of the toys, my own fault I know, blah blah blah, Then I mowed the back and front yard and while in the front yard my boys ventured over to our neighbors house where he has been shoveling rocks from his front yard into his back yard for the last two days. The boys found this very fascinating and wanted to help HIM, not me. First off, I don't think my neighbor is a kid loving person. He doesn't smile at all and he told my kids to go get their shoes on, which they did right away, A-MA-ZING!!! I wish they listened that well to my requests and demands. After they, I mean I, put their shoes on them, Dallin ran outside to get his "garden" shovel to help him with his rocks. I kept telling Dallin he wasn't old enough or big enough to help with that kind of job. He kept telling me he was. Now remember I'm a BIG advocate for doing service right!! So I thought, like I usually do, how me denying him this opportunity to do an act of service might hinder his desire later in life to want to do service for others, crazy me always worrying about how what I say and do now is going to shape the kind of people they are going to be later in life, anyways, so I put down my broom and told myself that this service was more important for Dallin than my desire for a clean house was for me. So we went over to "grumpy and doesn't really like kids but is willing to put up with them" house and helped him shovel rocks for a while. Then about 5-8 minutes into it Dallin lost interest and just wanted to climb the rock mountains. I reminded him why we were there and that what he was doing wasn't really helping. Bryant however was doing a great job at shoveling rocks so I just told Dallin that it was important to help and kept shoveling right along side Bryant. I thought to myself how tricky Dallin had been to get me over there to help with the rocks. Maybe he knows how much I like to do service and that is why he drug me over there to help the guy out. Well after about 20 minutes or so of helping and Dallin climbing I decided we had done our neighborly duty and decided to drag Dallin back home kicking and screaming and pushing the stroller with Asher and Bryant following slowly behind. After Dallin hit me I decided that was means for a time out for the both of us. His was spent in his room, mine was spent folding clothes. Although Asher didn't think that was a very good time out for me so he decided it was time to scream and cry until I got up and took care of his needs.
Now I'm sitting here writing all this out and wasting my precious time to be cleaning.
Off to rotate the laundry and fold the huge mountain on my couch so that I can clean the floors and the bathrooms and the kitchen...
If you happen to come over to my house, which you probably won't because most people don't, so I'm not exactly sure why I'm so worried about having a clean house... but if you do come over please know that if my house is a complete pig sty it is because I'm trying to be the best mother I can be and also trying to help others along their way.






1 comment:
Things I'm continuing to learn each day...that each room in my house will never be clean at the same time (during this season of motherhood). Maybe the dishes will be put away and the sink is clean for 10 min...but there are a million toys in the basement strewn across the floor.
Even if the bathroom sink is dirty 1 hour after getting it clean, at least it was cleaned once a week.
Kari, you are doing your best! You are raising good kids and being a good example to your boys. Love you!
Post a Comment