What do you do to a one and a half year old that won't stop bit ting or hitting?? Dallin's new favorite thing is to hit, well maybe not so new but it sure is starting to drive me crazy. And he bites on occasion and that is not something that I'm happy about either! Today it was really weird. Because I had a c-section with Bryant it left some of my stomach numb. So I was playing with Bryant and Dallin came up and bit my stomach and I didn't even notice until I looked down and saw that he had my clothes in his mouth so I pulled them out and that is when I felt it. Ouch. For the hitting problem I have tried putting him in time out, he loves time out. He could play in time out all day. I changed time out to a chair by himself for 1 whole minute. He tries to get off but I put him right back and the minute starts over, he thinks this is a game. I tried a spoon full of vinegar like my sister in law suggested, he loved it, he licked his lips and wanted more. I thought well I have known people that use Tabasco sauce but I thought that might be a little too mean for a 1 year old. But today after I realized he was biting my stomach I told him please don't bite mommy, if you do it again your gonna get Tabasco. Well sure enough he did it again and I was gonna make sure I followed through with my promise of Tabasco so I took him to the kitchen got the Tabasco out (I wanted to start off kinda slow so I only got my finger tip wet with it) and I told him to open up, which he did willingly, and I put it in his mouth. Oh and just so you know the whole time I'm taking him to the kitchen I'm telling him what is about to happen and why he is getting it and how much he is gonna hate it. Then Corey says from the other room, "well at least you hope he hates it". So I put it in his mouth and what do ya know, he likes it. I just had to laugh because he loves anything that you can put in your mouth and eat. Ahh that will never work!! I really don't want to spank him but Corey keeps telling me that maybe that is the only way. This kid is impossible to punish because he makes any situation a good one. I guess I should just be happy that he is optimistic. Which is unlike his brother...
So my lovely second son, who I am now nicknaming "Destroyer of Sleep" is driving me bonkers, along with my upstairs neighbors!! Come'on every stink'n night. Last night he cried for 3.....3 hours. I told Corey I was going to go insane, I was so close to driving myself to the loony ward!! He is impossible to please (at night anyways, during the day he's supper cute and smiles at everything). I would really like to keep nursing but I really don't think that I am producing enough milk anymore to satisfy him. I am too sleep deprived and stressed from this no sleep business that I don't ever feel like I am making any milk so I don't know if he is even getting any??I really wish that I had the energy to work on still nursing but I'm just to stink'n tired!!!
Any suggestions on how to tame a wild 1 year old and my "Destroyer of Sleep"?
But on a good note: Today my lovely first son aka "Wild Beast" showed me just how independent he can be. Corey was cooking breakfast and I guess Dallin had enough of this waiting around for it to be done stuff and so this is what he did... He climbed up onto one of the kitchen chairs...climbed up onto the table... and then climbed right on into his high chair and waited for us to notice him and give him some food. As soon as he saw us look at him he started signing please, please, please!! What a cute kid!! I sure do love my "Wild Beast" even if he does hit and bite.
Monday, July 14, 2008
The House of Grumps!!
Posted by
Kari Whiting
at
5:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
First off, where's Dallin's time out?
Brynlee used to hit and bite too at that age. Kids do it because of the reaction that is given. They enjoy the reaction that comes from doing it. They don't necessarily want to hurt anyone, they just enjoy the response. After consistent discipline in this, he'll outgrow it...but it may be a couple of months.
On to Bryant. During the day, does he seem satisfied (happy) or hungry? If he is satisfied, then he is getting enough food and you're providing enough milk. From what I've read on your blog, it seems that he's pretty content during the day, hence, well fed.
His night time behavior is not from malnourishment but from what YOU'VE taught him to do. Whether you meant to or not, feeding him during the night time has made him want to continue to nurse. Does he know how to get himself to fall asleep on his own? During the day, do you have to "help" him fall asleep or do you just place him in his crib and he coes the rest?
He may have not learned how to fall asleep by himself and when babies go through their light period of sleep during the sleep cycle (which all humans do), he wakes himself up and then can't put himself right back to sleep. So, he is up constantly as if he were just taking naps. And yeah, if he gets up constantly during the night, he WILL get hungry, anyone would (I do). So, first, help him learn how to fall asleep. You help him get there about 80% on the way to dreamland, and then you put him in his crib and let him go the rest of the way by himself.
Okay, this is a novel. Just call me and we'll talk more.
My brother was a biter! And my niece was too..the only thing that both my mom and my sis-in-law found that worked was biting them back. I know it sounds harsh but it did work in both cases. I also know how weird it is to have a numb stomach mine is the same way! I don't know what to tell you about Bryant. I stopped breast feeding after two months due to Braden losing too much weight. Good luck with it all and I'm sure we'll discuss it at the reunion!!
Man, sounds like fun learning times huh? Well, sorry the vinegar didn't work--you are probably right that food won't make a difference. One thing you might try is putting him in his car seat buckled up for a time out. THen he can't move around and you can have him face a corner. Of course, if he can get out of it than that is no good, but most kids can't at this age right? That would be be my advice on that one. Give me a call sometime and we can talk more. Hope that you are staying sane!! And I agree, they are both cute boys--and they will NOT be babies forever...so, the trick is to try and ENJOY this time right..even amongst the craziness!
Post a Comment