Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot!!

My poor baby has a fever!! It all started Saturday morning at the family reunion. I thought he was just hot from the sun but turns out he had a fever. It continued all day and into Sunday. We debated whether to take him to urgent care or not. It seems every time we take our kids to the doctor we leave feeling so dumb for being concerned about our kids. The docs just say oh there is nothing wrong just watch them and follow up in a couple days. Why do we need to follow up, so they can get paid more. This time we did decided to go to urgent care because he temperature was 103.9 and I thought that was pretty high for my little man. Well not according to the doctor. According to her a temp. is a good thing and it's nothing to worry about unless it is over 108 in toddlers and 105 in infants. I had no idea that it was nothing to worry about. Even if I had called they wouldn't have told me that. Corey over heard the nurse tell someone on the phone they can't give med. advise over the phone. Greedy doctors!!! What ever happened to doctors that actually did something?? Corey and I have decided that we are just as good as doctors, we can diagnose our children too. Yup he has a fever. That's about all we knew and then learned from the professional, educated doctor. Well today my little man STILL has a fever. It ranges from 101-103 degrees. I am a little worried so I gave our ped. a call and talked to the nurse who said anything over 101 for more than 3 days is something they want us to bring the kid in for. What? How come all doctors are different? Different advise from one to the next?? I told her that I really didn't want to pay for a visit just to find out my kid has a fever from teething. I told her I know that every doctor will tell me that he won't get a fever from teething but that I would have to beg to differ. So if there was anything I could do to avoid coming in I would like the help that way. She told me to try Motrin so I think I'll do that and she said if it is Saturday and he still has a high temp. we should take him in. What do you think? Is he just teething? Has anyone else's kid had a fever for 4 days higher that 101 from teething? Or should I be more concerned? Should I take him in? Is there any mommy advise out there?? If so please let me know, my poor guy needs to feel better!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kari,
If he is still running a fever on Saturday I would do what your doctor says and take him back in. Maybe that Urgent Care missed something. You can never be too safe with your kids. I guess the best advice is follow your gut instincts. I enjoyed all the pics! Email me that one of Grandma so I can make the flyer. Thanks!
Love you,
Mom

Jennie said...

My girls always got teething fevers too, but all teething fevers are low grade, usually just 101 and below. Anything around what Bryant's been having is probably just a bug that his body is fighting.

Our bodies naturally turn up the heat and make us have fevers as it's first defense to fight off the bug through heat. So, I usually just gave my girls medicine to help them feel comfortable and if they couldn't sleep without it. Usually, whenever they've had a fever 103 or higher, it because of a bug, not teething.

As long as they are eating, getting enough liquids to have enough wet diapers, and sleeping close to normal, then'll they'll get through just fine with few days (3-4) of the fever.

If they're not sleeping and are screaming about sleep and have a fever, it's usually from an ear infection and then I take them in to the Pediatrician to find out for sure.

If they have a fever and severe diarrhea, then I take them to a Dr. after 2 days to make sure they don't get dehydrated.

Also, you can overlap the children's motrin with the tylenol, just in case you didn't know. Tylenol is to be given every 4 hours, but during it's 3rd hour it starts wearing off. During that 3rd hour, you can give him motrin that lasts up to 6 hours. During the 5th hour of motrin you can give him tylenol again. And repeat the cycle.

Motrin always worked better for helping my girls sleep comfortably, so I would try to work it out so that they got motrin around nap and bed times.

You're doing great Kari. You love your boys so much! Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon!

mom of fab five said...

If he is running a high fever for more than a few days even if it goes away with Motrin/tylenol if it spikes when that starts to wear off you need to call again. Sometimes things don't show up right away. Better safe than sorry-
You would hate to find out it was something more and did nothing in the effort to save a few bucks. We already feel guilty enough---and never worry about looking dumb in the doctors eyes--you are the mom--you know what is normal or not with your kids. And a good doctor should listen to that! Hope he gets feeling better soon!