Thursday, August 14, 2008

I dread the night...

Well I thought I had a handle on my lovely second son's sleeping habits. Turns out I don't!!! I do not look forward to night times anymore, it's more like I dread them. It's kinda funny, night time rolls around and he turns into this other child. One that is grumpy and nothing can fix his unknown (to me) problem. Every time I try to get him to sleep he'll toss and turn and it's almost like he can't get comfortable. He goes back and forth twitches and pulls, grunts and gripes. I really wish I could figure out this problem because I don't know how much longer Corey will be able to take it. Or me for that matter. I try to tell him it is just pay back for the many nights he never let his mother sleep. But then that is not fair to me because according to my mother I slept pretty good. Word to the unmarried, talk to the mother of your significant other and ask how they slept as babies. I think that should be a requirement, a need to know!! Anyways... when will my son learn to sleep like his brother?? I hate to compare them but Dallin is amazing when it comes to sleep. We recently got him a toddler bed and most kids, to my knowledge, have a hard time going from a crib to a toddler bed. Maybe it is the new freedom they feel from not having to be caged in but not my son. No he just stays in bed like a good little boy. Maybe this is heavenly fathers way of saying, I know that Bryant is a pill so I will make Dallin a perfect sleeper. I suppose I should just count my blessings for Dallin sleeping so well, but it's really hard when I would like to get a good nights sleep once in a while. I think that maybe me and Corey should take turns, one night he gets him and the next I get him, but that wouldn't be fair to us because we love to cuddle, plus he keeps me sane when I am about to lose it with Bryant. But I guess I should stop all my complaining and realize somewhere out there some ones got it way worse than me. I mean heck I could live in Africa starving with no food to feed my kids..I'll stop there because just thinking about that makes my heart hurt for those poor people. So yes I'm lucky to have what I have and I am grateful we are all healthy and have the house we do and the shelter we do. I am so very blessed for everything in my life. Now I'm off to battle the night with my Bryant dear.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hey--thanks for the recipe! I am about to go shopping and was like, "I hope she posted it," and you did! About Bryant, I never thought I would say this--you know I've never done it myself--BUT, if you really are about to go crazy, you could just "let him cry it out." I don't know if I could actually do it myself, but maybe what you could do is leave the house for a while and make Corey swear not to go get him or something like that. I knew a girl who was battling with her baby for 11 months and she was going INSANE. She just finally decided that she had to do it. It took about 4 nights and then it was over. Like I said, I have never done it myself, we've been sort of lucky with Ella and she's just sort of morphed into sleeping through the night. So I don't want to say you have to do it, but it really seems like the only option right now if you want to try and change things. And one more thought-it may seem totally mean to do that, but really Bryant is probably not looking forward to the nights either if he isn't getting much sleep himself, and he is probably not getting the best rest he can get. However, the kid always seems pretty darn happy so what do I know!! Well, do what you think is best, and remember to pray. Now I need to get some meatball ingredients!

Jennie said...

Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Ladys Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Go to Sleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy by Kim West. Check it out at your local library, or buy it for $3 used from Amazon. Check out her site here:
http://www.sleeplady.com/

It's the happy medium to crying it out, which we did with Brynlee and worked, but didn't work with Raelyn. So we used the Sleep Lady's method and hardly had to use it before Rae got the hang of it. But that's also because we started her at 3 months with it. Like I've said before, the earlier you teach them, the faster the results.

Good luck Kari! It really is so hard not to have enough sleep. Love you!

Jennie said...

Also, you can download her podcast from her website for a little excerpt about her method. I'm listening to it right now.